So you bought a horse, now what?

 

So you bought a horse, now what?  You will have to work on a relationship with that horse.  This relationship starts by building trust.  The relationship between the horse and rider is important to the success of riding. 

There is more to riding a horse than just putting on a saddle.  Preparing the horse for the ride is just as important as the ride itself.  Establishing a trusting relationship with a horse is essential to a safe ride.  Trust is earned by doing groundwork the horse.  You should never just jump on a horse and ride it.  There should always be some groundwork before you start so that the horse knows that you will take care of it.  If there is not any trust in the relationship, the horse may not tolerate the rider.  So, before you ride a horse, you must start with building trust.  There are several steps to building that trust, which also prepare the horse for riding.  The most important step in building that trust with your horse is spending time with the horse.  It does not have to be riding the horse to develop a relationship.  Everything you do for your horse helps to build that trust.  Not only are you teaching the horse that it can trust you, but you are learning that you can trust the horse.  It is important when building a relationship with your horse that you are careful of your body language.  Horses can pick up on body language.  If you are stressed, the horse will be stressed.  If you are nervous, the horse will be nervous.  If you are calm, the horse will be calm.  This is especially important when establishing the connection with your horse.  Horses can be a get therapeutic outlet.  Working with a horse, building a relationship, if done properly can be relaxing for both the horse and the rider.  There is nothing more relaxing than spending time with my horse.  I talk to him.  I groom him.  He shows me he trusts me by relaxing and allowing me the privilege of taking care of him.  He is a priority in my life and I am so lucky to have him.  He means the world to me and I can’t imagine what my life would have been like without him.  My horse brought me out of a dark time in my life.  My father passed away when I was six years old.  I struggle to find my place.  Once I started riding horses, I found my passion and was anxious for my future.  I had finally found something to give me the hope I had lost when my dad died. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grooming your horse

Expenses of horse ownership

Let’s talk disciplines